I got a fair amount done last weekend.
- Fitted up the alternator, rewired the relays through a separate fuse box in the engine bay
- Added a pair of 100w halogen spotlights kindly donated by Jacques, taken from an old Nissan Prado
- Stripped the remaining useful parts (including the tank) out of the TC and sent the shell back to the breakers
- Took the autobox to the carwash and put it on the engine degreasing setting, good results for $3 and it can go on ebay
- Sourced and looked over Datsun driveshaft ... here's one, modelled by a fascinated Fred the dog, next to a Triumph set-up for comparison.
This week I've ordered and purchased 5 special "Tri-Dat" UJs from Greg Tunstall at $93.50 each (4 for the shafts, and one as a spare/pattern). Basically this is a UJ that fits between a Triumph and a Datsun yoke. As you can see from the photo, the Datsun ends have the c-clips in a groove at the base of the bearing section, whereas the Triumph ends have the clips that fit at the top.
Jacques and I figured out how these are made, if I ever need to get any made up. Now I need to get them fitted. I don't have a vice, bench or space to put a bench in Brisbane, so I need to either take them to a garage and ask them to put the Triumph and Datsun bits together, or drive all the way back up to Bundaberg and do it there! It's a bit annoying really as it's not exactly rocket science. Looking forward to getting them on, though.